Monday 9 April 2012

Altec Lansing A7 "Voice of the Theater" Build


Author & DIY'er: Santhosh


Post -4



The speakers are being built in my basement, so my 1955 Willys Jeep basks in the hot April sun (excited that he is gonna soon have company - a younger brother from the same era, same country (my Jeep is an original US import, not the one built by Mahindra).

Image 

Work progresses....:
Image

Bracing/Support for the horn flares:
Image

Right from the start, I knew that getting the plywood to bend as per the flare would be the biggest challenge. However, I managed to get some imported 12mm thick flexible plywood after looking in 5 different shops. The shopkeeper was thanking his stars as he has been having it in since 3 years and not a single query and then a mad man appears asking specifically for it :lol:.
Image

Thanks to Anilva, I managed to buy another pair of Altec LF drivers. This time, the mighty Altec 515b for my next project :o 

The ones on the right are the 515b's. They are from a Theater and need to be refurbished. Thankfully, Greatplainsaudio supports Altec owners by supplying recone kits:
Image

Image

Trial fitting of a Altec 515b driver that I bought that day:
Image

Image

Also managed to win these original Altec Lansing Speaker Badges on eBay the same day. Had to get up at 3AM to bid for these, but was well worth it ;):
Image

contd....

_________________
Cheers
Santhosh



0 comments:

Post a Comment